Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009 – A new year to renew and refresh self

As the clocked ticked over from 2008 to 2009 last night, I saw the joy on person’s faces around me and on the television. I saw the fireworks from the waterfront afar and from various places around Kingston. I asked myself what is the celebration all about? Are we happy to see the end of 2008 or are we happy to see the beginning of 2009? In speaking to several persons, the majority response is that we should celebrate the completion of another year and hope for things to get better in the New Year. I turned and asked someone: “When was the last time we gave thanks for a great year. He replied: “not that I can remember - we are always dying for the year to finish and hoping for improvements in the New Year.


I guess this is where I have a problem. We drift through life, doing the same thing year in, year out and expect that miraculously a new calendar year is going to be different. Many some persons who make resolutions abandon the promises they make to themselves, because they concentrate on doing something in the New Year. What is required is for us to renew and refresh ourselves. What junk (physical, mental and emotional) in our lives do we need to shed? What is preventing us from really making things happen for us in the New Year? Let us therefore not depend on the change in the calendar but rather depend on the change in ourselves. Let us start with one aspect. Let us find someway to say something appreciative to at least one person each and everyday. Remember also that in all things and at all times let us give thanks to our Creator who gave us life!

No comments: